Friday, February 24, 2012

Focusing on the low scent

On my next meeting with John, we decided to limit the target scent to only my low scent.  I had collected a few samples while I was around 60.  Food was only used as the reward this day.

We began as we had before with Senator searching for the low scent which was hidden under a container with holes poked in it.  We used 3 others as decoys and spread them around the room.

The first part again was to have Senator smell the low scent in a separate container.  I would say "find it" and he would begin to search it out.  He did this well.  We tried this a few more times and he could always find it.  Putting it on a chair as opposed to the floor was again more difficult and required additional prompts.

Then we tried hiding the scent with me.  We kept the containers on the floor, but I just held the gauze soaked with the low scent in my hand.  He was able to find it in my hand.  We did this a few times with me changing where I was sitting each time.

Next, we had two other people join us to add more of a distraction.  We repeated this sequence with John leading Senator by each of the people and then to me last.  He would find the scent and perform the alert behavior.

I tried hiding behind a door so that he couldn't see me.  I left it open about 4 in. and had the scent in my hand in the opening.  Senator was able to find me and the scent.  He pushed the door open and did the alert behavior.

Senator was seeming a little agitated.  He kept wanting to go up the basement stairs.  So we stopped there and let him out for a romp.  Afterwards, we went to a nearby nursing home for an outing.  John observed Senator as part of a fulfillment for a Therapy Dog certification.  Senator was able to calm down and behaved well.


At home, I am continuing to use only the low scent.  I put the scent into some little plastic containers that I found that Gary had drilled some holes into.  Gary hides the scent in the living room or hall while I distract Senator in the kitchen.  He seems to be doing well with this.  His alert signal is good too.  We practice this every evening.

I've had a few lows during this time and I've tried to use them to continue the training.  The first few times, I would blow on Senator's nose and give him treats.  The last time I tried this I decided that having the treats within reach was too distracting for Senator.  He was concentrating more on them.  So I have stopped that approach.  The next time, I made a gauze pad from the low and put it into one of the containers.  Then, I had Gary start him off by smelling that and saying the "find it".  I sat in the living room.  Senator came directly to me.  I blew on his nose and he alerted.

Its still hard to say how much of this he is "getting"  and how much is just his natural inclination to come to me anyway, but it sure looks good.  If nothing else, its good practice behavior for when it really does click with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment