Monday, September 3, 2012

Working with high and low alert together

I decided that it was time to move on and begin training the alerts together.  I haven't read how other people do this part, so I am just winging it.  I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can so as not to confuse Senator any more than necessary.

Our house is arranged so that I can walk in a large circle between the kitchen, living room, and dining room.  So, I put the scents into the small plastic containers with holed punched in them that I had used before.  I put the high scented one in the kitchen and the low scent one in the dining room.  I had the appropriate treat within reach of both.  I put Senator on a leash and walked him in this circle.  When he came to the low scent container, I would say good low and give him the treat for lows.  Then we moved on and did the same with the high scent.  We made about 5 times around and then quit.  He seemed very excited and to enjoy this.

The next day, I followed this same procedure.

On the third day, I quit saying good high or good low.  Instead, I said "what is is" when he got to the container.  If he looked confused or didn't do the appropriate response (down for low, sit for high), I would say "down for low" or "sit for high" and he would do that and get his treat.  After a few rounds, I didn't have to give him the verbal prompt.  Again, we did about 5 or 6 rounds.

On the fourth day, we continued with no immediate prompts from me.  I would say "what is it" when he reached the container and he would do the response.  If he got it wrong, I would correct him and then treat him.  I would say that he got it right more than 50% of the time.  He seems to default to the down when not sure.

The next day, I did the same thing to begin.  His percentage of correct seemed higher.  After about 5 times around, I attached his leash to a door nob in the kitchen and retrieved both containers.  I brought them to him one at the time, had him sniff the container and again asked him "what is it?".  He did well with this.

I plan to continue with this protocol for awhile until his percentage reaches near 100%.

I've had a few natural lows in the meantime.  After the initial alert, I ask him "what is it"  He's been getting it right each time.  It will be interesting to see if he gets it right with a high BG now.  That will say a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment