Friday, January 25, 2013

Training games with two dogs

I've been adding some scent games to our training lately.  Senator has seemed a little complacent lately and I thought that this might perk him up.  I have been hiding the scent containers in different rooms throughout the house.  We go room to room looking for the scent that is hidden there and Senator will offer the correct alert behavior for the high or low scent as he finds them.

I decided to include Cruise, the chocolate lab that we are fostering as a service dog, in this activity.  It was either that, or kennel him while we were having all the fun, and that just didn't feel right.  I've given him a few clues as to what we are doing.  I have been having him smell the scent container after Senator finds it and then treating him.  He has found it first a few times, but I think by sight.

Its interesting to watch the two dogs searching for the scent containers.  Senators "sniffing" is very obvious.  His exhaling through his nose is obvious.  When Senator finds the scent, he immediately comes to me to offer the alert.  Cruise will pick it up and bring it to me.

I've also noticed that Senator seems to be able to detect the alert when it is hidden on my body quicker (or easier?) than when its hidden in the containers.  I'm not sure what to make of this.  Sometimes, while he is searching for the container, he will walk right by it, sometimes with his nose just inches from the hidden container.  But, when the container is concealed in my pocket, or if it is a real high or low alert, he gets it quicker and from a greater distance.  I'm not sure what to think about this.

I do feel that both dogs are enjoying theses sessions and I intend to continue with them.  I'm going to continue to give Cruise some additional cues to see if he can pick up more on what he is actually learning.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your writings here!!! I wish I could say I had an excellent response with Maggie and the "scent" ... but she makes an excellent PTSD dog!! Keep up the posting and FEEL GOOD!! et

    ReplyDelete