Saturday, April 28, 2012

He's got it!

Senator has been consistently alerting to my lows the last few weeks.  We've been testing him in a variety of situations, and he has performed very well.  I still use the scent pads that I made when I was low to test him and  I have had Gary do this occasionally as well.  He gets it every time and usually quite quickly.

I've had some lows recently too that he has caught.  They happen most frequently right after a walk and I can usually feel them.  When we get back home, I make it a point to get near him and he senses the low an alerts me every time. There have also been some instances now where I didn't know that I was low and he told me.  One time, I was getting ready to leave for work and he alerted me.  When I went to check, I was at 63.  Not a good number to be driving to work with.  Just yesterday, he alerted me when I got home from work and was greeting him.  This time, I really doubted him because I had eaten a protein bar on my way home in preparation for a walk.  I was really disappointed when he alerted me, but decided that I should check just to be sure.  I was at 71.  Its really amazing.

Interestingly, he doesn't false alarm alert.  It surprises me because his alerts always lead to lavish treats and praise.  I really don't understand this, but will accept it.

I've recently noticed that when he alerts me, his eyes are big and very round.  Usually his eyes are quite slanty, so it is very obvious.  The pawing that is the true alert is now only for his benefit.  I already know when I see those eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment